- 8 tomatoes (ripe, Roma plum, chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/2 red onion (chopped)
- 6 basil leaves (fresh)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Salt (optional, to taste)
- Pepper (optional, to taste)
- 1 loaf French bread (Italian or, cut into 1/2 inch diagonal slices)
- Wash hands with warm, soapy water for 20 seconds.
- Preheat oven to 400 °F.
- Combine tomatoes, garlic, onion, basil and olive oil in a bowl. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste (optional). Set aside.
- Arrange bread on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake about 5 – 7 minutes until it begins to brown slightly.
- Remove bread from oven and transfer to a serving platter.
- Serve the tomato mixture in a bowl with a serving spoon and let everyone help themselves. Or place some on each slice of bread before serving. If adding the tomato mixture yourself, add it at the last minute or the bread may become soggy.
Makes 12 servings