January is National Family Fit Lifestyle Month. While January may not be the time you are thinking about getting out and moving, staying active year around is an important part of a healthy lifestyle.
Top 5 Tips for Being Active as a Family
- Make it fun. Being active doesn’t have to be a chore or something to get through. The more fun it is, the more you enjoy it, the more active you will be. Talk with your family about their favorite activities. Take turns picking how to be active each day.
- Schedule active times. Like many things in life, it is easier to fit physical activity in if you plan on it. Look at your family’s schedule and see where there may be some windows of time for a family walk, game of tag, activity video, or other favorite activity.
- Small steps, bit wins. This time of year, it is tempting to set big goals for being active, but it can be hard to keep up intensive work out schedules. Instead, start small and build up. Maybe you begin with one family walk a week, or a weekend activity that gets everyone moving. Once that habit is set, you can add more activities.
- Make family time active. During family time, focus on those activities that get everyone moving. Hiking, walking, biking, snowshoeing, bowling, soccer, baseball, and basketball are all good ways to enjoy each other’s company and stay active. This winter, try building a snowman, making snow angels, and playing tag.
- Remember chores. Chores like shoveling snow, raking leavings, and projects around the house can be a great way to keep moving and get things done. Everyone can help out to make short work of the chores and make more time for the activities you love.