- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 white or yellow onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup celery (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (chopped or 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups parsnips (chopped, about 1 pound)
- 1 cup potato (peeled and cubed)
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tablespoon margarine (unsalted, or butter)
- 1 teaspoon ranch or Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese (optional)
- Wash hands with warm, soapy water for 20 seconds.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, salt, and pepper. Cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the parsnips, potato, broth, and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer for 20 minutes or until the parsnips and potatoes are soft.
- Stir in the margarine or butter and let the soup sit uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Puree the soup in batches in a blender, using the manufacturer’s directions for pureeing hot liquids.
- Return soup to the pot.
- Heat the soup before serving, stirring in water if it seems too thick.
Makes 6 servings