- 3 1/2 cups diced potatoes
- 1/3 cup diced celery
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 1/3 cup carrot or green bean pieces (optional)
- 3/4 cup chopped ham
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup CNP Magic Mix*
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese (optional)
- Wash hands with warm, soapy water.
- Combine potatoes, celery, onion, carrots or green beans, ham, broth, and pepper in a stockpot. Bring to a boil and cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a sauce pan combine CNP Magic Mix and 2 cups of water to make thin white sauce. Stir over medium heat until smooth and thick.
- When sauce just begins to boil, remove from heat. Add cheese to the sauce and stir until melted. Stir the sauce into the stockpot, and cook soup until heated through. Serve immediately.
CNP Magic Mix Alternative
Instead of CNP Magic Mix and water, use the following:
- 1 Tablespoon butter, margarine, or canola oil
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 2 cups low-fat milk
Then follow these steps:
- Follow steps 1-2 above.
- In step 3, heat butter, margarine, or oil in a small skillet over medium heat.
- Once hot, add the flour and stir until the flour is incorporated. Continue cooking until it turns light brown.
- Whisk in the milk. Whisk or stir until the flour mixture is dissolved in the milk and the milk begins to thicken.
- Follow step 4 above.
Makes 6 servings