All about Lentils!
Why Add Lentils to Your Plate
This month, CNP is all about lentils! Lentils are a powerhouse of nutrients and are easy on your budget. Here are some of our reasons to add lentils to your plate!
- Lentils are both a protein and a vegetable on MyPlate
- Lentils are a great source of protein- 1 cup provides 17.9 g of protein
- Lentils are a great source of fiber- 1 cup provides 15.6 g of fiber
- 1 cup of cooked lentils = 1 serving of vegetables
- 1/4 cup of cooked lentils = 1 serving of protein
- Enjoy lentils in soup, chili, casserole, tacos, salad, over rice, as a side instead of beans, in burgers, and more!
All About Cereal
If you find yourself arguing with your kids over how much sugary cereal they want to eat, try this little trick CNP educator Debbie Kelly used with her kids.
Click your way around our collection of cereal boxes and become a savvy cereal shopper! Fiber, sugar, whole-grains, and nutrition claims are all good things to consider when choosing a cereal.
Build A Healthy Breakfast
Build a Healthy Breakfast
Breakfast fuels your day. Build a healthy breakfast around your daily bowl of cereal and start the day super-charged!
Grab a bowl
- Remember portion size!
- 1 cup of cereal = 1 serving of grains
- A smaller bowl is a good way to keep your portions in check
Pick your cereal
- Avoid the sugar crash with low-sugar options
- Cereal made with whole-grains and full of fiber will keep you fuller for longer
Pick your dairy
- Low-fat milk or soy milk are great choices to add to cereal
- Change things up with a morning parfait. Use your favorite low-fat, low-sugar yogurt instead of milk
Pick your topping
- Fresh, frozen, canned, and dried fruit add bursts of color and flavor to your bowl
- Try 1 cup of banana, berries, peaches, or pineapple, or 1/2 cup of dried fruit
- Take your time to savor every bite!