- 1 1/2 cups uncooked lentils, rinsed
- 5 cups low-sodium broth
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped (1 teaspoon minced or 1/2 teaspoon powder)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup large carrot pieces
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Wash hands with warm, soapy water for 20 seconds.
- Combine lentils, broth, and garlic in a large pot with a lid. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Turn heat to medium. Add all remaining ingredients. Cook, uncovered, until carrot and sweet potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.
Makes 6 servings