- 1 whole-wheat French baguette, cut into 12 thin slices
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 cup white onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup canned navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tomatoes, cored and cubed
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Wash hands with warm, soapy water for 20 seconds.
- Slice the baguette into thin slices (about 12 slices for a baguette.
- In a skillet, add 2 Tablespoons of oil. Heat.
- Place the bread slices in the skillet pan and cook on medium high heat until sizzling and golden. Before flipping the bread, add an additional tablespoon of oil to the pan, if needed, and cook the second side until golden.
- For the topping, cook the onions and the remaining tablespoons of oil over medium heat until onions are soft, about 7 minutes.
- Add the garlic, basil and oregano and cook another minute or two, until fragrant.
- Add beans and continue cooking for another five minutes on low heat. Add the tomatoes and turn off the heat, allowing tomatoes to warm without cooking.
- Drizzle the balsamic vinegar into the pan and gently stir.
- Scoop heaping spoonfuls of the tomato-bean mixture onto the grilled bread and enjoy.
Makes 6-8 servings