- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- Chosen ingredients from the tables
- Wash hands with warm, soapy water.
- Prepare chosen ingredients from each of the four columns on the next page plus one of the sauces. Try cutting vegetables into different shapes for variety. For example: strips of green peppers, carrots sliced thinly at an angle, and chunks of zucchini.
- Cook protein foods, if needed.
- Warm a large, heavy skillet, wok (large, bowl-shaped pan), or electric skillet to high heat until a drop of water evaporates on contact. Pour 2 teaspoons of canola oil in a thin stream around the edge of the pan.
- Add aromatics all at once to pan. Cook and stir until they smell good (about 10 seconds).
- Add protein food (pre-cooked). Stir-fry 3-5 minutes. Add 1-2 Tablespoons of water, if needed. Remove from pan.
- Put about half of the main vegetables in pan. Stir-fry 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly, until vegetables are crisp tender. Remove from pan. Stir-fry other half of main vegetables and green vegetables. Add 1-2 Tablespoons of water if vegetables stick to pan. Remove from pan.
- Add seasoning sauce to pan. Stir until the sauce bubbles and thickens. Add protein and vegetables back to the pan. Toss well to coat with sauce. Cover and heat 3-5 minutes until hot. Serve with brown rice or whole-grain noodles.
Makes 4 servings