- 16 ounces dry macaroni, shells, or other small pasta
- 2 Tablespoons margarine, butter, or oil
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup pureed butternut squash (10 ounces frozen butternut squash heated and pureed)
- 1 cup low-sodium broth
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic (1 teaspoon garlic powder)
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1½ cups low-fat shredded cheese
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- If butternut squash is not cooked and pureed, cook it until tender, then puree in a blender or mash with a fork until smooth.
- In a large skillet, electric skillet, or saucepan, melt margarine or butter, or add oil on medium high heat.
- Once heated, add flour. Stir until combined and flour begins to brown, about 2 minutes.
- Add butternut squash, broth, garlic, and black pepper. Stir until combined and heated through.
- Lower heat to medium. Add milk. Heat, whisking constantly, until combined and warm.
- Add cheese and stir until cheese is melted.
- Add cooked pasta to the sauce and stir until pasta is completely coated and heated through.
Makes 9 1-cup servings