- 1 teaspoon oil
- 3½ cups raw potatoes, diced
- ⅓-1 cup celery, diced
- ⅓-1 cup onion, diced
- ¾ cup ham, chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon seasoning of choice (garlic, Italian, taco, dill, thyme, basil, etc.)
- 4 cups low-sodium broth
- 2 Tablespoons oil or butter
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- ½ cup low-fat shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- Wash hands with warm, soapy water.
- In a large soup pot, heat oil. Add celery and onions. Cook for 3-5 minutes until onion is soft.
- Add potatoes, broth, pepper, and seasoning. Bring to a boil and cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Once potatoes are soft, mash some of them with a fork or potato masher for a creamier texture, if desired.
- To make the cream sauce for the soup, heat oil or butter in a small saucepan. Once hot, add flour and stir until it turns pasty.
- Cook for 1 minute on medium heat, then add the milk a few tablespoons at a time, stirring constantly until thick and bubbly.
- Add milk mixture to the soup pot and cook soup until heated through. Serve topped with cheese.
Makes 6 servings