- 7-8 tomatillos
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tomato
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro (optional)
- Lemon or lime juice to taste
- Wash hands with warm, soapy water.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Remove tomatillos from husks and rinse under running water until no longer sticky.
- Place tomatillos on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, then let cool.
- While the tomatillos are cooling, cut and de-seed the jalapeño.
- Add all ingredients to a blender and purée until chunky or dice all ingredients into tiny pieces and combine in a bowl.
- Chill for 1 hour to let flavors blend.
Makes 1 cup
Recipe adapted from Produce for Better Health Foundation.